View Single Post
Old
05-28-2013, 06:40 PM
The Perfect Human*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I think everyone recognizes, once Datsyuk and Zetterberg retire, DET will be a very different team. I don't think they will be amongst the elite and will struggle to make the playoffs season to season.

Sports and hockey are cyclical. It's been impressive Holland has been able to keep them at the top for so long, but a drop is inevitable. The real question (and demonstration of good management) is how long a team spends both at the top and at the bottom.
I totally agree. STL took a solid 6-7 years to rebound from their previous re-tooling post-lockout, but before then had a ridiculous playoff streak of like 25 straight years. To me that's a bit too long and too drastic of a "re-build" to be considered successful. In the process they lost a lot of fans too.

Boston had a 29-year streak leading up to 1996, and afterwards has been pseudo-sporadic with their streaks, and since then only missed the playoffs 3 times in the next 9 seasons as they "re-tooled". Since 2006 they've made the playoffs every year. That's why they have perhaps the biggest fan-base of any American team. That to me is the best indicator of NHL success, ability to re-tool and compete quickly once a dynasty collapses