View Single Post
Old
05-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
There were definitely some much lower than 24 when you factored in the goalies and international skaters. In the combined rankings, I know at least a couple of places had him as an early second. No, it wasn't going "off the board", but iirc he wasn't among the "best available" lists that were showing as the Flyers pick approached.

Regardless, my larger point was that the Flyers passed on the defenseman that was ranked in the 12-15 range to take the center that most places had in the 25+ range. You're right that it wasn't completely "off the board", but it was absolutely a surprise to most people when it happened both here and in the TSN coverage.I trust the Flyers ability to get a good player when they draft as they've shown pretty solid prowess in recent years. I was disappointed when we passed on Maatta for Laughton, but am more than happy to eat some crow if that turns out to be the right call at a later date (as Bill indicated above).
Except, of course, when Bob Mackenzie said he thought the Flyers were looking at Laughton.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote