View Single Post
Old
05-29-2013, 06:39 AM
TUQ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We should be interested if he could be had. Slats needs to turn over some stones here.

Ryan Murphy undoubtedly have the raw ability. He is an extremely dynamic young D, and almost only matched by E Karlsson and Brodin in some areas (his skating and stickhandling, he is especially not just able to rush the puck (many kids can do that at the junior level) but he got that ability to just skate 8s around people). People can trash him all they want for his WJC's showing, RM was awsome in several games but got the blame when Canada as a team failed. I also saw some of him in the U18 WJC's, and he scored 2 PPG's in that tournament.

In the end, I think, that all that matters with a kid like that is to give him a really good environment to succeed in. We really have a set table for a kid like that. We have been waiting for him for decades.

My point is just, we have an extremely flawed transition game, we have an extremely flawed puck-possession game, we have one of the worst PP's -- due to Torts system. When Torts had success in Tampa, the game was very diffrent etc. And, he also had one of the best PMD's in the game in Dan Boyle, and one of the best puck possession forwards in Martin St Louis. There have been talk about if Torts can change, that talk is somewhat irrelevant because a change isn't made over a summer. It takes years to implement these stuff. And Torts is probably not very good at implementing break out's etc., he has coached for a quite long time without ever using them. But a big advantage with Torts is that he won't cripple his players as long as they don't screw up. Hence we might be able to cover for some of Torts flaws with a certain type of players. Ryan Murphy fits that bill perfectly.
I do agree with almost all you said. Unfurtunately I am of the opinion that in today's NHL you can't win without good system (puck movement and transition) and PP, even though you have all the talent in the world and the best goalie to boot. The good system with slightly worse players beats the bad (Torts') system with better players. That is the reason I do not put much hope into the debate (and its results) whether we acquire this guy or that one, because it loses its meaning. All we can acquire is the best available player, other teams will therefore get slightly lesser players. But once incorporater into better systems, they win.