View Single Post
Old
05-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I think you are asking too much from Postma considering his mold and level of NHL experience. Not all defensemen come in a la Karlsson and have it figured out immediately. Some D men don't 'get it' til they are in their late twenties.

I think all you can do is continue to look for improvement. As long as he is heading in the right direction then you have to be happy with his development.
Yeah, Karlsson was not even close to "having it all figured out" when he came to the NHL. His defensive game was a MESS. I mean a rotten ridiculous mess. He was Cam Fowler bad when he broke in. It's improved steadily though, to just below average.

Postma is not a rock defensively. He never will be. Asking him to play defensively or play PK will always be a mistcast. Wanting him to be a physical player also wouldn't work. But he moves the puck real well, skates real well, decent enough positionally. Needs to continue to improve his defense, but it is not terrible like some make it out to be. It's below average, not horrendous. It will likely never be above average, but that's alright.

I take Postma's natural skill and upside over Redmond's slightly steadier lower upside play. But that's just MO.