Old
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 500
http://thehockeywriters.com/valeri-n...ussian-factor/

Good read with some quotes from scouts. I found this interesting:

Quote:
In April, Nichushkin spoke of his views on North America and the potential of joining the Canadian Hockey League if he doesn’t make the NHL next season. Not everyone came away with a positive reaction.

“If I go to North America, I’ll go only to NHL,” Nichushkin said at the World Under-18 Championship. “I played in KHL, why [do] I need to go to CHL or AHL?”

Red flags could be spotted waving everywhere. But consider the possibility that the only reason Nichushkin sounds egotistic is because of the language barrier. Really, Nichushkin probably speaks better English than most of us do Russian.

But then came his trade from Traktor Chelyabinsk, his hometown team, to Dynamo Moscow. All of sudden, words changed.

“I had already decided to leave for the NHL,” said Nichushkin, who added both the Tampa Bay Lightning and Nashville Predators have expressed interest in drafting him. “[Dynamo] calmly reacted to this. I was told that I could leave if I want. No legal problems there. My deal with Dynamo is terminated and I am leaving a free agent.

If all is true here, Nichushkin instantly finds himself with a very interesting draft stock. Does his commitment to the NHL turn him into a top five pick?
I had not seen that bold / underlined quote anywhere until now. I still don't think we pull the trigger on him (the so-so two way play and possible refusal to play in the minors at any point mentioned in the article scream red alert for a team with a development process like ours), but things get interesting if Tampa does. Definitely have to take Drouin over Barkov, just that size Barkov brings would be really nice to have.