View Single Post
Old
05-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I completley get what you mean, but if the Habs are doing very well next year, a lock to make he playoffs, Markov is playing decent, and Bealieau is having a good year in the AHL. You really cant trade Markov up while even though that you know you might if the next contract doesn't make sense to you, your better off letting him walk, and have Bealieau take his place.

I mean its like we Gainey traded Rivet when were in a playoff race, Rivet at that point wasn't a key player anymore.

Its almost like Ryder, IMO when Bergevin traded for Ryder he knew he wasn't going to re-sign him, but he knew that he could bring something to the table, and that something was valued more than maybe trading Ryder at the trade deadline.
That's where a GM has to talk with the player's agent. What type of contract does he want(length, money), how long does he want to play and does he really want to play here. If Markov is ready to sign for 3 more years at 14-15 mil it's pretty hard to pass up. Plus if he becomes obsolete here he would be pretty easy to trade. A low risk move is adding another year extension at 5-5.5 mil.

I don't see Beaulieu being ready to play #3 minutes after one more yaer of seasoning, I see him jumping in as a #5-6-7 at some point from Jan 2014 to Dec 2014 then into a top 4 role at some point from Jan 2015-Dec 2015. To me he is a half yaer behind Tinordi.

Ryder I don't think anything was etched in stone, he surpassed expectations a bit during the season and was somewhat of a flop at playoff time. His strong season meant that his price is 4-5 mil in cap hit over 3-4 years and his playoff flop convinced MB he didn't want to pay him that kind of money.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote