Old
05-30-2013, 03:03 AM
ahthorne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I agree Mezzaros needs to go.
He is too fragile for a top pairing.
And too expensive to play on the bottom pair.

Coburn is too expensive for a bottom pair defenseman.
And Schenn is 1st pairing and Grossmann is 2nd pairing.
3rd pairing guys play less minutes and usually cost less
than we pay Coburn.
He is overpaid for the position he has earned on this defense.
Coburn is not a bottom pairing guy. Even last season, when he wasn't great, he wasn't a bottom pairing defender.

Average ice time per game, 2012-13 season among defenders:

Coburn - 22:36, 1st in PK time per game and 5v5 time per game ... 41% offensive zone starts (tied for lowest among Flyers D)
Schenn - 21:51, 2nd in 5v5 time per game ... 46% offensive zone starts
Timonen - 21:45, 1st in PP time per game, 5th in 5v5 time per game ... 50% offensive zone starts
Gustafsson - 20:08, 3rd in 5v5 time per game and PP time per game ... 41% offensive zone starts (tied for lowest! GO GUS!)
Meszaros - 18:27, 2nd in PP time per game ... 43% offensive zone starts
Grossmann - 18:19, 2nd in PK time per game ... lowest time on ice per shift of any of the 'top-6' ... 44% offensive zone starts

Clearly, people like Grossmann and the way he plays and I agree - he's solid. He's most effective when used how we have used him though, seeing minutes like a 3rd pairing guy with PK and defensive prowess. He can lead a 3rd pairing, too, much like Meszaros did when he was at his best. That is how Grossmann should be used. Above info shows how Coburn was used in a defensive role and as a 5v5 workhorse against tough opponents, again showing how circumstance can often affect your production.

I'd love to see Meszaros replaced with a cheaper and more effective player for the bottom pairing. Perhaps they bring in a UFA for the 2nd pairing, remove Meszaros and use Gustafsson as his replacement. However, I 100% see Gustafsson used in a top-4 role and proving he belongs especially given the advanced stats he put up this past season.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote