View Single Post
Old
05-30-2013, 06:36 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I remember that thread, I was pretty much alone in there aside from a couple others. I was attacked daily by the fan boy club. It is what it is. Some were suggesting8-8.5m, others were suggesting 60-70m. Almost everyone was happy with 6.5million. others were arguing for 10 year contracts ect ect. Not an inch of foresight in the entire thread for the most part.

I argued that 6.5 m was way too steep for his current accomplishments and there was no reason to rush to get this done if we weren't going to save some cash. This deal and the lack of deal for PK Subban are two of the biggest head scratchers for me. We actually have one guy who's play is like one of the top 5 in position (Subban) vs someone who's play isn't(Price). Before anyone argues hindsight, PK Subban was playing like a top 5 dman prior to this year too, he just didn't have the godly point totals to get recognition, his stats in all 3 zones were elite. Many here didn't even know it, so I'll take their player evaluation skills with a grain of salt.

We decided that the guy who embraces playing in Montreal and thrives in pressure situations needed to improve as a person. Bergevin got these two backwards imo.
No he wasn't. Not consistently at least.

I'm one of PK's biggest fans being from Belleville where I had the pleasure of watching him play for his entire junior career with my season tickets. However, he was not a top-5 defender last year. Frankly, he wasn't even close. Top-30 or so I'd agree with but considering how poor his start to the season was and the lack of production throughout the year, no one can really say he was top-5. Those who are elite produce and are effective with the advanced statistics (see 2013 Subban).

He definitely deserved 3.5-4.5 based on his play and probably 4.5-5 on his likely growth at the time, but he was not an elite top-5 defender that deserves 6.5+ like he is now.