View Single Post
Old
01-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Kerberos*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I have to wonder if this means Plekanec is seen as expendable. Given the positive comments Gainey's had for Ribeiro this season, Begin solidifying himself as the fourth line center, and Koivu a stalwart for the top line pivot position, this leaves two centermen out in the cold: Juneau and Plekanec.

With Juneau being replaced by Begin and Koivu on the third line for bits here and there this season and the line not missing a beat (in fact, being better off with those two), and also being bumped to the fourth line when Perreault, Koivu and Ribeiro were all in the lineup, one has to wonder how long he has left with the Habs. I'd wager no longer than his current contract stands for.

I don't like the thought of Plekanec being showcased right now, and that unfortunately seems like a viable possibility.
I think it is obvious that Gainey is trying to find a solution for this year only. Gainey must see Plekanec as a solution in two years (there will be a long lockout next season) since the habs have a history of not rushing their prospects. You have to be 23 and over to find a regular spot on the habs. It's just the habs philosophy.