View Single Post
Old
05-30-2013, 11:20 AM
tjziel

vCash: 500
Top 5 Players to Trade/Add For the 2014 London Knights

I really hope Mark Hunter adds some star players, for possibly his last kick at the Memorial Cup for a little while, so I hope he loads up with talent like he did for 04-05 team, so we can finally bring the Memorial Cup back home. IMO, I see the Knights lacking an offensive minded defensemen (no offense to Olli Maatta, but he's not naturally offensive) and some big forwards with skill to off-set some of the smaller forwards we have in our line-up. Now we won't be able to attain them all and some seem like a long shot, but I see us next year being the top team in junior. So here's my list:

1. Darnell Nurse - For all you people who think we can acquire Aaron Ekblad, that's not going to happen, so here's a more realistic option. Now this trade would depend on if the Greyhounds are contending this year. If they aren't, we desperately need a D who can naturally QB our PP which is something the team has lacked since Danny Syvret. It would come at a severe cost, but he's relatively young (a 95 birthday, the same age as Zadorov) and we could have him for 2 years. He's big, and skates well and would give us a great Top 3 again with Maatta, Zadorov, and Nurse. Would definitely ease the pain of us losing Scott Harrington.

2. Tom Wilson - Do you guys remember how dominate this guy was in the Plymouth-London series?? He is one of the best hitters in the game and would make our team that much more confident knowing he's in our lineup sticking up for Knights teammates and not playing against us. Great hands and skating ability for a big man at 6'4 and is a true power-forward who can play any role. I see Wilson moving next year because Plymouth has potentially 10 over-agers when you're only allowed 3, so that's a serious indication that they will trade out and rebuild their organization.

3. Sean Monahan - I honestly thought we were going to acquire him last year, but Chris Barnye had to leave some dignity and some players on his team after the firesale he conducted last year. Great size at 6'2 and a great defensive-minded center with great hockey IQ. Monahan would really relinquish the pressure from Broadhurst to fill the No. 1 center role.

4. Michael McCarron - Now this isn't a trade, but it would be a significant add that wouldn't cost us players or prospects off our roster. Depending on who he gets drafted by this June, most GM's will tell their top players in the draft to seriously consider going the Major Junior route because it helps their development as a player, and has better competition and more of a pro-like schedule (not to mention London's hosting the Memorial Cup in 2014, which could really influence him to come across the border). McCarron is a big power-forward he can skate and play the "Hunter-way". He is still very raw, but that is nothing new for the Hunters.

5. Luke Mercer or Jessie Graham - Now here are some guys that I remember were a key component in the London-Niagara Final a year ago. They both aren't the flashiest of player's, but they get the job done and were heavily relied upon in the Ldn-Nia Final to shut-down opposing forwards. I like these two players because they wouldn't cost us severely as much as the top-end players.

Honorable Mention:

Matt Finn
Chris Bigras

Both are significant defensemen for their respective team but in Finn's case, Guelph is still very young with their team basically comprised of 94's and 95 players, which means they will be a contending team this year, and will definitely give London a run for their money in the standings. For Chris Bigras case, I see Owen Sound doing well too, but that really depends on if Jordan Binnington is back for next year. If not, I could see them struggling without him.

Last edited by tjziel: 05-30-2013 at 11:31 AM.