View Single Post
Old
10-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Oilerfan120582

vCash: 500
Are they going to sue now that they got cut? They already got $3500 in damages for not being allowed to play on a team that they weren't even good enough to play on.

Common sense tells me that if a girl is way too good for the girls league and playing with boys is her only alternative, then she should be allowed to do so. Common sense also tells me that boys should not be allowed to play on girls teams because they would have an unfair advantage and would take spots away from female players.

My problem with this is that they took it to the courts and made it this whole "human rights" issue. The trouble with this is that the courts like to establish objective standards based on precedent and literal interpretations of rulings and laws. There is no room for common sense or any subjectivity, which means that according to a literal interpretation of this ruling, it would be hypocritical to not allow boys to play on girls teams. Common sense may say that this shouldn't be allowed, but legal precedent says it must. This should never have been made into a broad issue of "discrimination" or "human rights", but rather should have simply been an issue of whether these specific girls should have been allowed to play on that specific team. They've now created a slippery slope and may not be able to get off.

As far as the on ice part goes, I have worries about girls playing with boys at that age. Other sports may be fine, but hockey is a contact sport and if these girls have been playing in women's leagues all their lives without hitting, it could be dangerous to suddenly step in and play against 17 year-old boys.

I also know from experience that as a guy, it can be difficult playing against a girl. No matter how hard I tried, I could never bring myself to play the same way against a girl as I would against another guy. Even if she was a good player, tough enough to handle the physical play, and wanted to be treated the same, I would still feel bad if I knocked her down even if she didn't. Playing shinny would be fine, but playing against girls in a real game, quite frankly, took all the fun out of it for me.

Oilerfan120582 is offline   Reply With Quote