View Single Post
Old
05-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Here's my thing about the cap, before July 1st, I believe we'll need to fill 2 roster spots with about 8 million in cap space.

Assuming you're a smart GM and save 2 million in cap space for the deadline to add a key player possibly if you're in the hunt sort of deal, that leaves us about 6 million in cap space.

IMO, we need another top 4 defenseman to fill in for 1-2 years before Tinordi is ready to move up the depth chart and Beaulieu is ready to replace Markov. I think that should be a bigger priority as the defense, IMO is what was one of our weaker points down the stretch. Gallagher and Galchenyuk (barring a sophmore slump) can look after Ryder's production and maybe a Top 9 RW like say, Chad LaRose would be a good plug to put in until Kristo/Collberg/whoever is ready to make the jump to the NHL. Until then, spend 4 million on Regehr as our Top 4 D acquisition on a 2 year term deal and spend 2 million on LaRose on a 2-3 year deal to fill in till the prospect(s) are ready.

Gionta i don't think he's aging out as much as he's injuring out. Had he not been injured this past year, he would still be scoring 20-25 goals a season.
There is virtually nothing worth spending real money on for top 4 defensemen though, unless we're talking trade route. I'd bet strongly on what you see now being what you get for next season on the blueline. Regehr is a great example of that, he's just not very good anymore. Same goes for the other free agent D, the are nigh universally both very old and not appreciably better than the Habs' existing top 5. If they were going to explore that option then they shouldn't have retained Boullion and got someone better to be a veteran 4-6.

And on the other hand, top nine filler players like LaRose aren't going to be worth much to the Habs either. They aren't particularly better than promoting a guy like Prust.

The Cap looks to rise considerably after next year and the Habs have a fair amount of space for next season when a lot of other top spending teams are constrained. Its a good time to look to add replacements to Gionta/Ryder on wing rather than pray that their prospects turn out.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote