View Single Post
Old
05-30-2013, 09:31 PM
habsfanatics*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
No he wasn't. Not consistently at least.

I'm one of PK's biggest fans being from Belleville where I had the pleasure of watching him play for his entire junior career with my season tickets. However, he was not a top-5 defender last year. Frankly, he wasn't even close. Top-30 or so I'd agree with but considering how poor his start to the season was and the lack of production throughout the year, no one can really say he was top-5. Those who are elite produce and are effective with the advanced statistics (see 2013 Subban).

He definitely deserved 3.5-4.5 based on his play and probably 4.5-5 on his likely growth at the time, but he was not an elite top-5 defender that deserves 6.5+ like he is now.
By any metric other than points, PK was already one of the best in the league. He lit it up this year on the powerplay, his EV strength contributions were unchanged for the most part. His puck possession and way he drove play to the opposite end of the ice has basically remained unchanged. In fact, in many ways he had better statistical numbers defensively last year as he was used in all the toughest situations and excelled in every aspect.

Points cloud peoples judgment, Subban was elite long before this year. It just took some a little extra longer to realize it.

Funny you mention his advance statistics. He was elite in 2012 as well.