View Single Post
Old
05-31-2013, 09:33 AM
SavageSteve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I agree with what you are saying but if we are going to have a chance of getting an offensive superstar it's going to be in the draft. I would rather take my chances on filling the center position void in the draft since we have a shot at Barkov. I think trading away the pick to possibly fill the void with someone another team is willing to trade could be a disaster.
Totally agree here.

As a kid in the '80s in St. Louis, other than Joey Mullen and Doug Gilmour I watched the Blues treat the draft/prospects as a tool to get gritty re-treads for playoff runs over and over in the old Norris Division. Only once did trading off assets really pan out in Brett Hull (which was amazing when he was netting 70+ goals); but maddening when you see the players you dealt hoist the Cup for Crispy in Calgary or elsewhere for what turned out to be a rental. I think it is wise for the organization to do their homework and posture to see if someone will overpay like GMDP did with Erat or get good value on trading up. I'd really prefer for them to stand pat taking Barkov at this point and also qualify Blum/keep Ellis to see what Housley can do with the defense and build their value for other assets we will invariably need through attrition. You never know when some team will channel Mike Ditka in NOLA and give up a ton of draft picks/prospects for your pick.

Of course other teams will posture to take a player that Poile obviously covets and see if he will give up an asset or move to Plan B and vice versa.