View Single Post
05-31-2013, 10:56 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
I agree with that to an extent, but RBI's impact is relatively minimal in comparison to what it could be. I have a childhood friend that has worked as a city manager in a few municipalities in St. Louis County and talked about how difficult it was just to get RBI or Cardinals charities to pay attention to that and build an inner-city field.

The lack of black athletes in baseball is kind of alarming considering all of the reverence to Jackie Robinson MLB plays up and should be focused on getting those kids to see Jackie as a role-model to follow instead of some dude in a history book.
The problem is that there's no monetary incentive for MLB to do so besides corporate social responsibility.

If I'm the Giants and I build some fields, pay for some coaching, etc. in Hunter's Point and a really great young black kid arises, he'll just end up getting drafted by somebody else.

Meanwhile I can build an academy in the Dominican Republic, sign a billion Dominican kids for a song, and one of them might be the new Juan Marichal.

An international draft is coming, so it'll be interesting to see how teams try and get an edge - maybe the inner city becomes popular again.

This doesn't just affect black kids though, hardly any top prospects come from the city anymore it seems.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote