View Single Post
Old
05-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
News Update

So far there are trickles of news floating around about possible pre-season games and recruits for other teams. However, all is quiet in Bison-land. I don't suspect that the Bisons will land a lot of new players. From last year's roster they lose 5th year forwards Tyler Dittmer and Tyler Feakes and graduating forwards Matt Lowry and Del Cowan. They have already announced three new recruits up front. The team has no anticipated departures on defence. 5th year goaltender Jesse Deckert will be gone. A possible replacement would be Mark Friesen, WHL grad and 3rd string goaltender from 2011-12. I am sure they would never turn away a possible upgrade at any position, though.

In a feel-good story, former Jet Brett McLean is going to be an assistant coach at Waterloo. He was forced to retire due to a brush with death arising from a heart ailment.

Links:
|> [CIS story] with [CTV News Video]

The Banjocats have announced their first two recruits, forward Cody Fowlie from the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL and defenceman Brody Luhning from the Battlefords North Stars of the SJHL. They need several more defencemen. Last year's team had to use forwards back there all the time.

Links:
|> [U of R release]
|> [Kelowna story]

The New Kittens on the Block have a "Meet Your Cougars" segment this off-season. I was hoping it would feature mid-40s women. Instead they talked to Eric Galbraith.

Link:
|> [Meet Your Cougars]

Across the Town of Bedrock there were stories about Bracken Kearns cracking the NHL.
Quote:
By age 30, most Canada West hockey graduates are in Europe, have moved on to coaching or are making good use of their university degree if they haven't met that ultimate goal of getting to the National Hockey League.

Not so for Bracken Kearns, a former captain with the University of Calgary Dinos (2001-05), who made his NHL with the Florida Panthers a few months after hitting the big 3-0 and now, 18 months later, has managed to crack the playoff lineup as a centre with the San Jose Sharks.
Links:
|> [U of C Story] also at [CW Story]

The Tweety-Birds took the lead in announced new recruits with the confirmation of defenceman Brandon Underwood from Red Deer (WHL). I believe he is the first native of American California to go to British California.

Link:
|> [UBC story]

While there is no news on the CIS front, there is a 10 page pdf stats sheet which is worth a download. And there is more discussion on the SportsNet TV deal. This coming season will see 13 CIS games on the network, including 3 men's hockey games. The linked stories describe those as "semi-finals" and the final. Not sure if that implies a format change to the tournament to actually introduce semi-finals. We'll have to wait and see.

Links:
|> [CIS pdf stats page]
|> TV stories: [Maclean's] : [The Gauntlet] : [CIS Blog]

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote