View Single Post
Old
06-01-2013, 01:58 AM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
agreed Nathan is his replacement with sick skills

Markov is nowhere what the was , folks he was gassed out at 50 games and his d was below average with his bad plus - rating , even though I m not a huge fan of this rating but he was exposed quite often this season

I dont want to pay him for a declining asset beyond his current deal
A few factors here though:

1. No serious hockey and being out of game shape for the better part of three years.
2. Recovering from surgery, not 100% sure of his limitations.
3. Therrien's insistence on playing him 25minutes a night when he had a horse back there who can play those minutes for the next 10 years.
4. First year back full-time was a condensed schedule, not going to be easy for anyone who's been out of action for so long.
5. Used too much and too often in the wrong situations. Killing penalties was never his specialty, although adequate, this job belonged to PK as well.

I expect a better Markov next year, and many are underestimating the impact solid puck movers have on the transition game, it's no fluke that he came back and our 5 vs5 was near tops in the league. Our record with/without markov speaks for itself, that trend was evident again this season.

The beginning of the year Markov was hot because he was playing in KHL and had a pre-season that many others didn't have. He was already in form, but as the year went on he wore down a bit. I'll give him a pass this year for that, his skill hadn't diminished. His quick stick/puck movement/vision/controlling the PP are still elite, he just had a lot working against him this year. He'll never be top 10 in the league again imo, but will still earn his cap hit.

There are 20 year olds who would have struggled with stamina this year if they went through what Markov has gone through. Therrien didn't seem to care though.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote