View Single Post
Old
06-01-2013, 02:21 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

vCash: 500
I'm incredibly grateful that Tortorella found his way into this organization. Don't get me wrong, I was pretty upset with his performance this season. The "stone age hockey" and lack of aggression really got me angry, despite favoring a conservative style in hockey. However, this was the first coach to bring some accountability, pride and a good work ethic in the lockeroom.

The coaching during the "dark ages" exhibited none of those traits, which only added to the mercenary attitude which was seen in the players on the ice. To have under-performing players pay the price for poor effort and gain the identity of one of the hardest working teams is something I would have never imagined happening before he was at the helm.

I'm relatively young compared to many of the posters on here, but the '11-'12 season was the greatest season I ever experienced as a hockey fan. For once the team was better than the sum of their parts and we rose out of the ranks of mediocrity. While it wasn't long lived, it was a refreshing (and a much needed) change from battling for a playoff spot every season.

Do I think his firing was justifiable? Considering the system he employed this season did seem to stagnate the potential we knew the team had, absolutely. However, like Renney, I do feel that Tortorella had to act as a scapegoat for Sather's incompetence. People were expecting this team to be a contender this year and in reality, I feel that last season was just an anomaly (or a facade) that led us to believe that this team was better than their skill would indicate.

I'm still excited to see what this change could do for the organization. I would love to see a coach with a semi-aggressive philosophy come in and try his system out with this roster. I think there's a chance we could succeed with a "run and gun" type style considering the speed of our defense and having Lundqvist in goal.

Thank you, Torts.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote