View Single Post
Old
06-02-2013, 01:29 AM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Well this is based on facts not impressions.

We can not understand Gomez unless we see Plek getting 39 points with Kovalev...

Seems many redefine the reality to fit their agenda.
It's also possible a lot of people were simply not paying that much attention in the period 2006-09, rather than them "redefining reality", they might just be ignorant, which is fine.

Here's what I remember: we were all obsessed with the center position. Gainey went hard after Lecavalier, after Sundin, and then he settled for Lang, and finally he settled for Gomez. Both of Lecavalier and Sundin let to media circuses in Montreal, and I think both circuses lasted over a year. It's reasonable to speculate that we didn't need to give up McDonagh, but we should understand that in the minds of many, strenghtening the center position was a top priority.

That same summer, Gainey signed offensive center prospects prospects Mikael Johansson and Andreas Engvist, as well as drafted 5 centers with 7 picks in the 2009 draft, including Louis Leblanc with the 1st rounder. A year later, Halak was traded for Eller. That, coupled with the re-emergence of Plekanec, is why I think we have collectively calmed down since.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote