Old
06-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhauntswizards View Post
>Tyler Myers' contract that paid him 12 mill last year
>Christian Ehrhoff (while a good player)'s ridiculous contract.
>Ville Leino's contract
>Starting out his BUF tenor very well, worse every year. Haven't been a serious contender since Drury, Afinogenov, and Briere were the team.
>Good scout, but not good at anything else.

He might not be an idiot but he is a very dumb GM.
Myers was paid $12M as a huge signing bonus of $10M. That's Pegula money talking and wanting to lock-up their (supposed) franchise defenseman for a long time at a very reasonable cap hit of $5.5M. That Myers regressed couldn't have been foreseen, and I still think he'll turn things around and be worth his cap. He's not right now. It was a smart move to make and helped show their new identity, that they were committed to spending and doing what it took to become an ideal destination. To be relevant. Ehrhoff (along with Regehr) were also part of that. Hoff's contract is way too long, definitely, but that's what it took to get him to Buffalo. He's been great for them so far and he has a few good years left I believe. His cap hit is small for what he brings to the table. Leino is just a mystery. That was silly. He'll be bought out I'm sure... and maybe Ehrhoff as well due to the length of the contract with the new CBA rules.

Either way, Regier isn't an idiot. He's a GM who has made a few mistakes here and there (like they all have...) but nothing massively crippling to the team.