View Single Post
06-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
vCash: 525
Christie back, Paulsen added

The best way to ensure that a recruiting announcement will be made is to post that there is no news, I guess. Shortly after my May 31st post in this thread came news that former goaltender Steve Christie is back as a coach, whilst Luke Paulsen is joining as a defenceman.

Regarding Paulsen:
I am excited to receive a commitment from Luke Paulsen to join the Bison Mens Hockey program. Luke brings an excellent hockey resume to the Bisons having played for the WHLs Kootenay Ice and the MJHLs Winnipeg Blues, commented Sirant. Luke is a very talented defenceman with excellent mobility and puck skills, plus great vision to adapt at moving the puck up ice to his forwards. He is also solid in his defensive responsibilities and an excellent teammate.

Paulsen, 20 (turning 21 on Sept. 28/13), played the 2012-13 season with the Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL) Winnipeg Blues. The 60, 172 lbs. forward accumulated 15 points (four goals, 11 assists) in 19 regular season games with the Blues. Prior to Winnipeg, the Winnipeg native played three seasons in the Western Hockey League (WHL) with the Kootenay Ice and part of the team that won the WHL Championship in 2010-11 season. In three WHL seasons, he scored in 36 points (5g, 31a) with 52 penalty minutes in 147 regular season games plus added one assist in 19 WHL playoff games. He was also part of the Winnipeg Wilds AAA Provincial Midget Championship team in the 2008-09 season
I checked out the Blues' site and Paulsen was not on the team at the end of the year. It looks like he is one of those players coming back from injury, of which the Bisons have had seevral in the last few years. In any event, he had three solid seasons in the WHL in Kootenay.

Christie's past accomplishments are extolled in the threads from prior years. The release summarizes them thusly:
Christie, 28, comes back to Manitoba as a coach after a very successful CIS career by completing five seasons (2006-07 to 2010-11) with the Bisons and earned a major accolade being named as the inaugural CIS Mens Hockey Goaltender of the Year honours in the 2009-10 season.

Christie served as the Bisons starting goaltender for his final three seasons and compiled an overall conference regular season record during the five seasons of 46-37-0 with eight shutouts at Manitoba. His best season came in 2009-10 when in addition to the CIS major award and was selected as CIS First Team All-Canadian and Canada West First Team All-Star at the goaltender position while helping to lead the Bisons to the 2010 CIS National Championship Tournament berth for the first time since 2004-05.

I am excited to be back with the Bison Hockey program. It did so much for me as a player and I am looking forward to being apart of it from a coaching aspect now, stated Christie. To see what this program has accomplished over the past recent years is a real reflection of the quality of players and coaches U of Manitoba produces every year. The program is respected nationally and players want to be apart of that. It was an easy decision when Coach Sirant asked me to join the coaching staff.
Christie had played in the SPHL with the Pensacola Ice Flyers the last two years, and in 2011-12 was loaned for a period to the Tulsa Oilers of the CHL for their playoff run. It seems two years of minor pro is usually the end-point for CIS grads. After that it is Europe or time to utilize that degree.

|> [U of M story]
|> [ChrisD Blog]
|> [Luke Paulsen Elite Prospects Page]
|> [Steve Christie Elite Prospects Page]
|> [Winnipeg Blues Roster Page]

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote