View Single Post
Old
06-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Dude, it's not because ''Price was going nowhere'' that we had complete control. Matter of fact, we didn't have complete control seeing how Price was eligible for arbitration.
If no agreement was reached then an arbitrator would have settled on a salary for the upcoming season. And letting things go to arbitration isn't necessarily the best both in terms of salary or relationship.
So ya, we didn't have complete control to the point of saying ''whatever, we'll just play this waiting game''.

Let me make this straight, I'm not saying that this makes the contract okay. I'm merely bringing up a reasoning for it. I don't think it's as simple as you make it seem (ironically you're the one telling me things aren't this black and white). If that's the case, and Bergeron is a guy that signs his players based on evaluation, then explain to me why he would hold out PK in order to give him a deal worth peanuts? Did Bergevin value PK to be worth nothing more than a 4th Dman? Obviously not.
To me it showed Bergeron understood the negotiating game pretty well.
He held out PK because in his case, we indeed had complete control. PK could literally do nothing but sit at home if he was unhappy with the negotiations.

Price on the other hand would have had the arbitration ruling, and if the team didn't want to sign him, he'd have become an UFA. So no, that's not complete control buddy.

Then you have to factor in the fact that there's no other goalie that's even close to Price that we could have brought in. It's not like on defense with 5 other guys playing. There's only one goalie stopping pucks, and our only other option was Budaj.
So no, that's not really dealing from a position of power.

I don't understand what's so hard to see here. That doesn't mean that the deal was good or that the evaluation of MB was spot on, but Bergevin's hands were a lot more tied than you seem to think.
It's hard to say that there were no options when arbitration in itself is an option, one in place for this exact type of scenario. It certainly would have bought the team one or 2 years to evaluate alternatives, and I am guessing that an arbitrator would have arrived at a number close to but less than 6.5M.

And really I don't care about the so called "piss off" effect of arbitration, Price could use some fire in his eyes like we saw in Subban this year.