Thread: News Article: Ron Mclean Rant about Richards
View Single Post
Old
06-03-2013, 07:30 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Sather has said in the interview with the press (which can be found on the Rangers official NHL site) which he gave after Tortorella's firing that the decision to sit out Richards was an organizational one--which leads me to believe or think anyway that Tortorella resisted the idea. In any case it seems it certainly wasn't just Tortorella deciding to sit Richards. It also leads me to think that Sather was already considering the idea of finding a new coach as it certainly is not a sign of confidence when the g.m. etc. steps in and makes lineup decisions for his coach.

In any case--the Rangers have the option of playing Richards for one more year and in the meantime hoping he does not suffer an injury that would take away the option of buying him out. Logic argues against them doing it. Getting stuck with a huge cap hit for several years just to hang on to this guy for an extra year when he's being bypassed in the pecking order by younger centers like Stepan and Brassard does not make a hell of a lot of sense. The argument that neither Stepan and Brassard are legit first line centers doesn't really hold when Richards who used to be isn't one either and very unlikely to become one again. The likelihood is more that when a player starts a decline that trend continues even if for short periods of time he seems more invigorated and productive as Richards was towards the end of the season when the Rangers were beating up on non-playoff teams.

The right decision and not really that hard of one is with all apologies the ****ing guy has to go. Shake his hand--wish him luck and sayonara--it didn't work out. If anything I think Torts was protecting him but I guess we'll see.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote