View Single Post
Old
06-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I've always evaluated our dmen well. I do not support trading Markov for nothing. However there are better dmen on the market for lesser cap hits right now who are probably worth very little (Bieksa comes to mind). The fact is, Markov is making number 1 money and is performing like a 4/5 dman. That equals pretty much no trade value. Any team that has Markov as a top pairing dman is going nowhere and its time we accept that. Subban right now is better than Markov ever was, and we just simply can't have a guy who can't kill penalties and is a liability 5 on 5 eating up almost 6 million in cap space.
I think you don't realize what a #5 Dman is around the NHL if you think that's all Markov is. Then again, you cried over not re-signing Wiz so I can't say I'm surprised.
Markov is making #1 money, finished the year as the D averaging most minutes per game, on the 2nd seed team in the East, scoring 30pts in 48gp after playing just 20games in the past two seasons, top 5 in pts by Dman, 2nd in PP pts by Dman. Those are facts, not subjective opinion based on watching games from your couch.
But you're right, any team that has Markov has a top pairing is going nowhere, except 2nd seed halfway through a year. Very unpromising indeed.

How you use your Dmen depends on how your squad is made up and how you use them. Subban had no business being used as a bottom pairing guy, or a 2nd pairing one for half the year. That was ********. I'll never understand it.
PK/Gorges is our top pair. Markov can handle 20ish minutes on the 2nd pair versus weaker opponents with reduced ES time and heavy PP minutes. His contract finishes next year, nothing to cry about and if you keep repeating that his trade value is non-existent, then he is a lot more valuable to us if he can finish the year as top 5 in the NHL in terms of pts.

You also fall to conclusion based on 40ish games after he played 20 in 2 years. You further focus your evaluation on his drop in performance over the later part of the year but dismiss to acknowledge the fact the whole team dropped in terms of performance over the same stretch. He wasn't the only one that slowed down. Matter of fact, you'll have a hard time naming me a handful of players that didn't.

Bieksa is a much bigger defensive liability than Markov. Not only that, but his cap hit is 4.6M over another 3 years. In no way is he a better choice than Markov, not even close.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote