View Single Post
Old
06-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Price will not be traded, his contract wont allow it, he is a Hab for the length of that deal and everyone has to live with it. I would like a team that was not so dependant on a star goalie but one that was strong defensively and offensively and the goalie was a strong third liner type if you will. If your team puts so much pressure on the goalie to steal you games, it makes it obvious that the team in front is nowhere near what it needs to be. That is us and it has been that way for many goalies and years past, for what ever reason. Every GM since Savard in 93 has had holes everywhere but as long as we had a goalie that could stand on his head then everything was ok. We need a team that is built with a balance of toughness, size and skill or we will never win or go far in this league. Reference the final 4.
That's funny because Montreal played the best hockey I've ever seen them play in my lifetime (been watching since 04 sadly) in terms of structural play at the start of the season. During the first half of the season getting a solid performance out of Carey Price wasn't essential for us to win. The team as you described was flawless defensively (they were allowing less than 30 shots on net every game) and good offensively. They would dominate teams in terms of possession and neutralize them completely in the neutral/defensize zone. Now I don't know what happened to that team I saw during that stretch because they were a completely different team at the end of the season. I don't know if it's because of Markov slowing down, Emelin being injured or teams taking us seriously unlike the first half of the season where everybody saw us as a bottom feeder.