Thread: Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks sign G Antti Raanta
View Single Post
Old
06-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sob View Post
Well, I agree he was dominating in Finland this spring. However, Antti himself admitted that the quality of the shots slightly surprised him in the World Championships. So I wouldn't expect him to clinch the starter post next season. Being a solid back-up would be a very good achievement.

Having said all that, I agree he was one of the best goalies if not best last season in Finland, and proved to be mentally very solid.

I hope he will become a starter in the NHL - and he has the tools. But I don't automatically expect that will happen next season.
Very similar stuff than what was heard about him before SM-Liiga "Not experienced enough to lead Ässät to anything serious" and before World Championships "Clearly not #1, Ortio takes the spot hands down, Raanta needs to get more experience". Raanta wasn't supposed to get done next to anything (well, Ässät to playoffs and that's it), but he did everything that was virtually possible. This is just the next step. I believe strongly that AHL is a lot easier place to play than against teams like USA, Slovakia, Russia or Sweden in World Championships. The only big question is "how Raanta plays in small rink?". Pretty similar to "how Raanta plays when he knows nothing about the d-men in front of him?".

I'm not saying Raanta is a sure bet Blackhawks starter by the end of this year. I'm saying that don't be surprised if he is. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote