View Single Post
Old
06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Bernier for Versteeg? I don't think Markstrom is quite ready yet to assume the starting role in Florida and figure that Bernier could be a goalie the Panthers can build around from the net out (and they could use Markstrom as trade bait in another deal).

Versteeg was teammates with Richards and Carter in Philly, he's a player that I think Lombardi was enamored by in the past (I seem to recall Lombardi talking about him in the past), and he's capable of playing a top six role on either side of the wing. He's had a couple of 50+ point seasons, three 20+ goal seasons, and is locked up at a cap hit of $4.4M until 2016. Versteeg is also in his prime at 27 and is coming off a season ending knee injury (and Lombardi has taken his chances with players coming off of injuries in the past).
If Florida thinks Markstrom will be ready eventually, they would get another stop gap like Theodore, not a kid who'll be around for a decade like Bernier.

And I wouldn't want Versteeg. He's coming off a injury plagued season and has a cap hit of $4.4 million. How do we fit him into our cap situation while also replacing Bernier?