Thread: News Article: Ron Mclean Rant about Richards
View Single Post
Old
06-03-2013, 05:45 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
I really think Sather would have gone out and signed Richards regardless of who the coach was. It's not a move that I can really criticize. Richards was the best center available and was supposed to qb the power play. It seemed like a no brainer.

Redden was the bad signing. Not only did the Rangers pay him way too much but his career was already going down hill. Sather also failed to complete the bottom six this past offseason. Sather's missed on a lot up bottom six bangers.
And that's true enough. At the time Richards of the signing Richards was a legit 1st line center--unlike Drury or Gomez who were more 2nd line types. For the cap hit the Rangers signed him for it wasn't realy that bad--at the time------apart from the fact that 9 years is too damn long. Well that was a question that most of us thought we'd be looking at maybe 5 (not 2) years down the road.

As for Redden--I always wanted Chara and it's consistent with the way I look at things. Redden certainly appeared to some as a somewhat slicker player. To me a guy like Chara with his size and physical style is almost always preferable. To win a championship in hockey you've got to be able to go to war. Chara fits the criteria for that just about perfectly. I never understood why some people at that time were angling for Redden. WTF.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote