View Single Post
Old
06-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Looking back retroactively it's nice to wax poetic about a guy finishing 2nd a bunch of times. To me, Leetch's 2 Norris Wins should have a lot more weight than 5x 2nd place. Nobody cares who the runner up is when you're winning the Cup, placing 2nd in the Norris trophy voting, or finishing in 2nd place during the regular season. It's not nearly as important as actually winning the thing and it's not like Leetch was going up against a bunch of slouches when he won the thing.
I don't dare take anything away from Leetch's Norrises, but second place finishes are noteworthy when the only person to defend better than you is the greatest hockey player this planet has ever produced. If Leetch broke into the league in the late 60s, what would his trophy case look like? I have Leetch ahead of Park at the moment, by the way.

I think the argument for Park over Leetch comes down to the idea that Park was a better defensemen and simply had the unfortunate luck of being in the league at the same time as Bobby Orr. I don't know if its a valid argument, but it is certainly a compelling one.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote