View Single Post
Old
06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
does it strike anyone else as odd that a team can forbid another team from talking to their coach? If I work for a bank, there's nothing stopping another bank from approuching me and offering me a job, especially as you wouldn't be starting until your current contract ran out
It's the way the coaching contracts are written--head coaches have clauses written into their contracts forcing them to get promission from the team to talk about another job. It makes sense, you can't really effectively coach a team when you're trying to leave it and if they were able to negotiate during the contract and sign up for a new job at the end of their contract, would anyone really want them to continue to coach a team they had already abandoned? Assistant coaches on the other hand, are likely to have escape clauses that allow them to interview for head coaching jobs.

Hockey coaches are not bankers, they are not interchangeable pieces: lose the former to a rival (during the season no less) and it turns your club, lose some assistant vp to another firm and the only question is who gets to take over his office.