View Single Post
Old
06-05-2013, 05:43 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post

And re: Why didn't Leetch get a Norris in 2000-01?

Ugh, don't remind me of that team and those years. His team was certainly god awful - there is no doubt about it. The defense was awful. Problem is Leetch wasn't exactly a solution to that problem. He thrived with Beukeboom because Beuk was a stay at home defender, which allowed Leetch to play his game. Once Beuk was lost to injuries, Leetch's pairings struggled defensively. That year was also the beginning of Richter's injury troubles (probably a bit more responsible for the following than the team - but both were big problems).

But here is your answer: He was a minus-18 that year. Just three players in the history of the Norris trophy have won it with a minus rating - and they were all better than -18 (-16, -2, and -3). Not to mention Leetch was on the ice for the most goals against of any player in the league that year at 157. The next closest player was on the ice for 34 less goals against. There were 9 other teams worse than the Rangers (by points) that had defensemen on them. There was no way he was winning a Norris with stats like that.
When you lead THE ENTIRE LEAGUE in ice time on a bad team you're probably a good bet to be on the ice for the most goals against.

But, I digress, I don't think anyone else would've won the Norris on a team like that either. Has the Norris ever been won by anyone on a losing team? I wonder.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote