View Single Post
06-05-2013, 07:41 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
I disagree with that, actually. I think Gainey was actually the opposite of that before the spring of 2009. This is not a defense of Gainey or anything either, but I think his moves in 2009 were definitely out of character. Prior to that Gainey was very very conservative. For a few years we made very small moves and very small signings. It was his original goal to build the team from within. But even at that he was too conservative because we missed several opportunitite to deal players to acquire picks. In 2009, he did a complete 180 and became very trigger happy. I think at that point he was probably under a lot of pressure because of the centennial collapse. So, I think with Gainey it was a tale of two extremes. But the aggresive extreme was out of character with most of his tenure.
Like Shero he got agressive when he saw a window to contend, plus the centennial also was part of it. He also did it in Dallas with the Niewendyk deal that cost Iginla but help them win a cup.

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
profits go to the private sector, risks should be taken by the private sector.
I doubt the hotels and restaurants of the Quebec area will get together and build an arena. They pay huge taxes(on payroll, profits plus collect GST and provincial tax) for the different levels of government to look after their interests.