View Single Post
Old
06-05-2013, 09:47 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
There is no way in hell a GM lets his scouts pick the players at the draft with little or no input. You don't say to your staff, " go get me some good hockey players." There are staff meetings, even with ownership on some teams, to set a direction of the team going forward. The GM may not pick the players per se, although many do with the advice of staff, but they definitely instruct their staff as to what kind of players they want. I think Gainey wanted more intelligent players that would be able to adjust and survive in the hotbed of hockey that is MTL. Remember, he gave Sather the choice of prospect dmen in our system in the Gomez trade , indicating Gainey had no idea what he had. Although at the time, the reports from the minors was that McDonagh was not developing as planned.
I never said a GM let's his scouts pick the players at the draft with little or no input, I said that Gainey from what i've heard was not overly involved in the draft. I'm sure he had input but everything I heard was that he put the people he trusted in position to make the decisions.

I also don't rememeber Gainey giving Sather teh choice of prospect D men in the Gomez trade. I do remember that being the case in the Kovalev trade where he gave them the choice between Pleks, Balej and Hossa.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote