View Single Post
Old
10-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Block More Shots

vCash: 500
Even though I believe it was a mixture of things that contributed to our poor play for such a long stretch of time, it really comes down to the team needing to commit to bringing in youth and bringing in vets that fit our system. Also, it was necessary that we cut ties with Messier. There was no need to keep him longer, he already stayed in the game WAY too long. The Rangers needed a fresh start without Mark and they needed their players to create opportunities for themselves. That's exactly what they did...a roster shake-up was key. No, they didn't buy big name free agents, they signed good veteran players that FIT the system that Renney was implementing. Nylander, Straka, Ward, etc...all players that can play a Tom Renney style of hockey in the NEW NHL. Not sure if Mark would've kept up either...how old would he have been if he played last year, 44 or 45?

I know Messier did a lot for the Rangers in the past but that's just it...it's a thing of the past. The Messier Era is over in New York and I'm happy to say that it's the best thing that could've happened to the Rangers.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote