View Single Post
Old
06-05-2013, 09:47 PM
ccgg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
With the choices you presented, I had to go with Mantha. I really think we need to grab at least 1 pure offensive player with those top 3 picks - guys with great tools who haven't really produced like Dickinson and Bailey don't fit the bill on that criteria.

I hate how you had D's I like in both options at 34 and 36. If it had been McCoshen/Bowey, I would have gone McCoshen. Then I would have taken Dickinson ahead of Bailey, but I wouldn't really object to taking Bailey. They are basically the same player to me, both have great tools and haven't put it together. Bailey is bigger but Dickinson is better defensively.
Exactly, the goal of the game is to score more goals than the other team. It isn't the team with the biggest players that wins the Cup... even more since a lot of big players are softer than smaller player. We don't have first line talent in our system but Galchenyuk. Maybe Pacioretty because of his shot, and Gallagher with his guts. A guy like Artturi Lehkonen is an obvious choice. He will likely be there at 34/36 and he has as much upside as some top-15 players. I don't see why we should draft players like Bailey who have tools but no toolbox. Yes he has size, but why is that a factor if he doesn't use it on a consistent basis. Justin Bailey is a third rounder. Obviously, a team dumb enough will draft him early in the 2nd round, because he has a great shot and a good size (but he doesn't really use it...).

With 25/34/36, we must have one top-liner or one top-pairing d-man. Third liner/pairing can be drafted later... just think about Yan-Pavel Laplante (probably the hardest worker in this draft), Jonathan Diaby (probably the best heavyweight in the draft), Matt Buckles (saw him once, but seemed very physical with good hands), Nick Moutrey (physical and good IQ), ...

To me, it is like this:

1- Valentin Zykov
2- Ian McCoshen
2- Artturi Lehkonen
2- John Hayden
3- Jonathan Diaby
3- Yan-Pavel Laplante