View Single Post
Old
06-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
My take on the 50 contracts argument is; I agree that for the NCAA players the 2+ more years you have to evaluate them help you diminish the risk of wasting a contract on rookies that doesn't deserve it. But even then, the evaluation doesn't become perfect with those extra years, some players are still "borderliner", for example, we signed Joe Stejskal when it was unnecessary. Nevertheless at the end on the day, the goal is to select the best player and I don't think that this futile technicality really make any difference when drafting a prospect. And, if it has made a difference, I believe it was a mistake, particularly if you compare our list of CHLers and NCAA players we have drafted in the later rounds. Anyway, when you are drafting NCAA players your goal is to sign them one day or an other, so signing them in 2 years or in 4 years doesn't really make a difference in the end. And as an offset, if you are finally able to lend on a good player, those extra years become a risk because you might lose the player, as Anaheim did with Justin Schultz for example.
What you don't seem to get since the beginning is that it's not as much diminishing the risk by giving more time to evaluate, as you draft them at the same age. It's the balance between CHL players and College players with that those 2+ years allow to account for the 50+ contract. In other words, the Habs hold the rights for those College players without having to sign them so soon to a contract, having to make difficult decisions too soon. It allows the team to have more prospects at a time that way.

Here's an easy way for you to better understand what we're trying to explain... If the Habs have 23 players under contract in the NHL, and another 27 with the Bulldogs and in the ECHL, some coming from the CHL... they can still hold the rights to not only the players they've drafted in the CHL, but those older ones still in College... for 2+ more years without counting against the 50 contracts!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote