View Single Post
Old
06-06-2013, 07:44 AM
boo10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
Hey guys!

I read this thread so I know that it might never be too late to start playing. My question is kinda different, though.
I'll turn 17 this August and starting in August I'm gonna stay in Canada for 10 months as an exchange student. I always wanted to play hockey but since we don't have many hockey teams in Germany and my parents didn't wanna make these long road trips and stuff, I started playing soccer. Anyways, I know how to skate and I'd just love to finally start playing hockey! So I was wondering if it might be possible to start playing in Canada (which I consider the prime destination for hockey players). I don't know where I'll stay exactly but it led me to a few questions.
1. Are there really that many outdoor rinks so that you could just play there in your spare time?
2. How many Canadian High Schools have their own teams? Do you think it might be possible to just practice with them but don't even play the games (probably I wouldn't be good enough)?
3. In Germany there are no school teams but we have many small clubs for any sports outside of the schools. Are there clubs like that in Canada, should I start playing there if I could?
4. Any other options?

Thanks for your help!!
1 - Depends on where you are. If you're in a rural area, often you just skate on frozen lakes and ponds. There aren't nearly as many outdoor rinks as there used to be, due to legal liability if someone slips and cracks their skull. Just another negative effect of our increasingly litigious, PC society. When I was a kid, every park and schoolyard had outdoor rinks.
2 - The majority of high schools have a boy's hockey team and many have girl's teams, (Provided the student body is large enough). Ice time is expensive so most high school teams rarely practice.
3 - There are thousands of minor hockey league teams in Canada. Research the GTHL if you want an idea of minor hockey in Canada. Your best bet is the local House League. At 17, I believe you would be in the Midget age group. House Leagues are open to anyone that wants to play, regardless of skill level and the costs are affordable. The most competetive levels of minor hockey in Canada can cost upwards of $10,000 per year.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote