View Single Post
Old
06-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Look at the Weber contract, look at the Suter contract, look at the Parise contract, even look at the Brad Richards contract, these guys want to get paid and they do. Brad wasn't even "overpaid". There were reports that other teams offered him even more. Sather paid what he had to just to get him to put on a Rangers uniform.
It's not the dollar amount people have a problem with, it's the number of years. I'm fine with paying Hank 8M at the age of 33. I'm not fine with paying him 8M at the age of 39.

Weber, Suter, Parise, and Richards signed deals that circumvented the cap. The teams paid a ton of money upfront, while tacking on dummy years at the end that artificially lower the player's cap hit. These loopholes have been closed by the new CBA. You can't use contracts signed prior to the new CBA as a benchmark. Lundqvist's next deal will expire before this CBA does. The Rangers won't be able to rely on the next CBA bailing them out.

Who is the oldest starting goalie in the league this year? Marty Brodeur is the exception, not the rule. I'm not saying Lundqvist won't be good in his late 30's. I'm saying the Rangers shouldn't gamble that he will be.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote