View Single Post
06-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Do you actually believe this?

So what you're saying, depending on the team and how they've structured they're authority on who's the senior drafting person and makes the final decision, that in some/most scenarios it's the GM, but in others it could be a head scout?

I highly highly doubt this. At the end of the day, all these scouts (including Timmins) are highly reputable advisors. Maybe in 2003 since Gainey was less than 2 months in the job he let Timmins make more of the selections, but even he TT was less than a year on the job, so he deferred to the entire scouting staff to make the decision collectively and they decided on AK in round 1, with speculation that TT wanted Getzlaf.

My point in all this is, in 99% of the cases, GM gets final say on the draftee.
I think montreal is right in saying it depends. I'm no scout myself but I've read a bit about the profession and it seems like that's the case - some GMs are more hands on, and some are not. As an example, I believe Doug MacLean was so high on Nikolai Zherdev that he would have drafted him no matter what his scouts said. Gainey always maintained the position that he deferred to Timmins, I don't know about Gauthier or Bergevin's styles in comparison.

I think it's reasonable to say that in the first round, the GM has final say, especially if it's a high pick. There's a good chance he's seen the player too. In the second rounds and beyond, it's much more of the head scout's final call.

Of course, this is just from what I've gleaned...we have an actual ex-NHL scout floating around here that could probably set us all straight

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote