06-06-2013, 10:00 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Scott Gomez: An overpaid, barely 2nd line at the time C. My thought process behind Gainey's thought process is if you get Gomer, you would get Gionta hooked come July. Bad decision IMO because Gionta's a smurf who can score 20+ goals. That's great and all, but size + skill is the key, not no size + skill or size + no skill.
Also if I remember correctly at the time of the trade, Lapierre was our top signed centre going into next year. I don't think (but I could be wrong) Plekanec was under contract yet.

We had overturned our entire roster by letting all our UFAs walk, but had no signed 1st or 2nd line center - it's a tough sell trying to get players to sign with your team on the promise of playing with Maxim Lapierre.

That was at the time that the Lecavalier-to-Montreal rumors were at their hottest, and it's confirmed that there really was a deal in place that fell through at the last second. Maybe Gainey was banking on having Lecavalier on the team before July 1 and building around him. When the deal fell through, it was a panic move to get someone who even looked like a #1 centre to be able to start courting UFAs. The Rangers knew we were in a bad spot, and put the screws to us, coupled with what must have been a severe misread of McDonagh's supposed "regression" winding up with him being included in the deal.

Those are the best justifications I can come up with but yeah, it's not pretty no matter how you slice it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote