Thread: TSN 1260: What's going on? Part 3
View Single Post
Old
06-07-2013, 01:33 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I phrased that very poorly. I meant that I would prefer that MacT do everything possible to trade up to take Lazar if he wants him, but that I still wanted whoever was there at 7, and wouldn't sacrifice that. Basically, I am not a fan of trading down. The return is never that significant and you generally end up with the worse player out of the deal.
With this draft class I think you'll see different kind of trade down deals to be made, especially for us. After 3rd there is clearly a slight drop off up to 7th, and after 7th is a significant drop off. Teams with two 1st rounders like Dallas and Columbus I'm sure will be very willing to overpay to guarantee themselves Nichushkin/Monahan/Lindholm. Even teams without two 1st's but something else valuable to offer will be making offers. In years past you might not have seen the 7th overall pick land a 1st 5-10 spots back along with another 1st but I believe this year is a lot different. The value of our pick is substantial compared to 8th overall. If someone offers two firsts (the highest being within 8ish spots) for our 7th overall I think it would be very worth it depending on who is left. If it's Nichushkin I can see a possible trade. If it's Monahan I'd be furious that they would pass him up. It'll be interesting to see if we do trade the pick what kind of value will be coming back because I have to think our pick will be highly sought after enough to make a nice market. Any team would be willing to give up another 1st and a 2nd to get 7, but that won't cut it this year. Not to mention with our situation where we have drafted top end forwards for the past few years and the top 7 being filled with more top end forwards, taking a gamble by passing on a better player shouldn't hurt much.

Not that I want the Oilers to trade back, but I wouldn't be opposed to it depending on the price of course. I don't think it's nearly as risky as you might think this year.