Old
06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What problem does it create? It's not as if there are no options to take over 3C duties. They may not be as good as Couturier, but I don't think it would be a problem (unless they send Rosehill out there).
You're still underestimating how good Couturier has been defensively. There is nobody on the team or in the system who comes close to touching him. According to Appleyard's stats, there aren't even that many centers in the league who do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
If the return is anything less than a true #1, then the net defensive value probably drops. Couts logs some wildly heavy lifted minutes. If those minutes are replaced by a PMD or simply a #2 -- in theory the defense gets worse, not better.

I suppose the only argument out of that would be that a PMD will assist defensively by better puck transition, but down the middle the Flyers get a lot worse. G can't do it-- Schenn isn't ready. Puts a lot of faith in 3C and 4C -- and removes defensive strength from the future top lines (if we assume that eventually Couts would be 2C).
Yep...and you NEED a center like Couturier to win a Cup. Some people seem to be forgetting that in their tunnel-visioned vision quest for a #1 D of any sort. Datsyuk, Staal, Bergeron, Richards, Toews, Pahlsson, Brind'Amour...all the recent teams have had their very good defensive center.