View Single Post
Old
06-07-2013, 04:44 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Oh that's right, the Bruins drafted Chara and the Wild drafted Suter. Come on. There are like ten or so true #1 franchise defenders out there. At least two of them were not drafted by the team's they are currently on. The other true #1 guys I would say are Doughty, Keith, Weber, and that's about all I can come up with right now besides Chara and Suter who were not drafted. There are guys out there that may one day be true #1 defenders, but when they become that they may not be on the team that drafted them. Ideally you get a guy like that in the draft. Obviously. Ideally you get all you best players in the draft. In reality, it doesn't work like that.
The landscape has changed with the new CBA. The small markets can compete much easier with contracts now. Do you think NSH would have kept Suter for 8 yrs, 7m per?, unless Suter just wanted to go to Min anyway...can't really combat that. Might happen with us with Ryan in 2 years...

Look at this offseason, everyone with any real value (youngish and productive) who was a UFA has already been locked up.

And in hindsight, I'm sure OTT would have much rather kept Chara.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote