Old
06-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I think by BEEF likes to downgrade Yandle's ability he can feel better about keeping Couturier.
Even though, he is the key to improving this rotten defense.
Yandle will not make our defense great, but he will certainly improve it.

IMHO, our defense not going to fix itself, no matter how many years you wait.
Either draft some top defensive prospects or trade for them.
Hoping to find them on the cheap (lower draft picks) and develop them = FAIL.
A lot of top defensemen come on those later draft picks. It's far from a failing strategy, definitely better than gutting your team to buy someone. Congrats, you have a #1 dman...now you have to spend years rebuilding anyways. We don't have lots of extra players to trade anymore (thanks to trading them all, and the picks used to get more), so we'd be paying dearly and punching holes in the roster.

I'm not downgrading Yandle...if anything, you're overrating the impact he can have if you think he can magically make the forwards play better in their own end, fix the breakout Lavi refused to adjust, and magically start getting more defensive zone starts where he actually moves the puck up, while performing against harder competition. I'm telling you he's not nearly as good as he's made out to be. He's not 22 years old anymore, he's 26 and very one dimensional...what you're seeing now is likely what he's gonna be, more or less, for the rest of his career. I'm far from the only person to make that assessment. That's not worth an overpayment, plain and simple.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Yandle, but not for the cost required. And that's not just limited to Couturier. If he's costing us any major forward that's a blow the team doesn't have the ability to fix. Defensemen have too much value and we have too few expendable assets to bother trading for them. Whether you want to admit it or not (it appears you don't want to), there is simply no way to get a dman outside of developing yourself without giving them a massive contract in FA, or overpaying in a trade. That's more likely to set the franchise back or at best act as a step sideways, than it is likely to improve the team.

IMO, Yandle is not going to improve the D enough to justify his cost.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 06-07-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote