View Single Post
Old
06-08-2013, 10:04 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
You missed my point. I'm not making the contention that Carlyle is a good coach because toronto took boston to 7 games. I merely used that as an example of how baseless your suggestion was that Torts was not to be blamed because Pittsburgh lost in 4.
Fine. What do you base your opinion of a coach on? Where should the Rangers have finished?

I will answer anyone's questions. I would like if someone could answer any of my questions in this thread (or elsewhere) instead of throwing out blanket statements that rip Torts' job performance.

Quote:
You looked at a result and assumed the cause without examining all the other variables.
Boy, do I disagree with this. I say it's the opposite. People are ripping Torts to shreds without considering the personnel. I am the one talking about the other factors.

Quote:
No, they didn't. To have perfect rosters, you must have perfect players. To have perfect players you must have perfect people. There are no perfect people. Everyone makes mistakes. Those teams just happened to be good enough to make less mistakes than their opponents, or to overcome any mistakes they did made.
Technically, you are right, so you win that one. However, the Rangers roster is grossly flawed. This has nothing to do with the job the coach did.
Quote:
I'd say last year they were working pretty well together. About as well as could be hoped.
I don't think they worked at all better last year. They just didn't run into a team like the Bruins of this year. Direct question. Do you think the Rangers personnel was better than the Bruins?

Quote:
How long did Herb Brooks coach those players? Less than a full year. That's basically 1 season in NHL terms. He was also dealing with a bunch of kids who had never played professionally before. Torts was here for 4 seasons. He had to deal with kids and vets. BTW, guess how long Herb Brooks coached the Rangers. That's right, 4 years.
I agree with you but this time you are missing my point. Torts is a good coach who wore out his welcome. All coaches wear out their welcome after a few years. That has not been the contention of the Torts critics, however.

The claim is that he is a bad tactician who can't adapt, can't fix what's wrong etc,. That is nonsense. No coach will keep his team's ear after a few years of being yelled at. That is why I have no problem with his being let go. That said, this is not the complaint of most fans. And again, no matter who coached them this year, their talent would have increased a total of zero. Boston is a far more complete team. Do you disagree?
Quote:
So is it your contention that who the coach is doesn't matter? Should we bring Trottier back? How about Muckler?
Guys like Trottier are the proverbial exceptions that prove the rule. Yes, there are some incompetent coaches, but very few. The hiring of Trottier is yet another indictment of Sather.

Quote:
If the players are tuning the coach out, then bringing in a new coach HAS to help, if only as addition by subtraction.
Bringing in a new coach is very far from a guarantee of improved performance. If your statement were accurate, every new coach after an entrenched coach would make a team better. Let's use your Trottier example here.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote