View Single Post
Old
06-09-2013, 10:45 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Personally, I believe Torts style of hockey was not conducive to fielding a Stanley Cup team. His philosophy (again in my opinion) is not how hockey is meant to be played. The game is fun to play, and to watch, when you have offense and offensive creativity (clearly you need focus on defense to be successful in this league but what he did was neglect half of the game - the better half).
While I enjoy wide-open hockey, that is not the way the Playoffs are played by any team. You can't find a coach who will open it up in the playoffs. The only difference is having the players who can sustain offensive pressure while remaining within a defensive system.

As to your assertion that this type of play is not conducive to winning the Cup, the Devils did just fine with it and Torts has already shown he can win a Cup.

In retrospect, the Devils story is a great example because it was a common belief that they held back some of their offensively-gifted players. When those players went elsewhere, it turned out that they weren't that great offensively Gomez and Guerin pop immediately to mind.They were good but they were thought of as being restricted under Lamoriello.

Those of us who do not blame Torts for the Rangers falling short are not all of the opinion that he was great, either. His act probably wore thin on the players like every coach and we don't mourn his exit.

I also realize that I am in a possible minority of one that believes who coaches is almost meaningless except for the obvious buffoons like Trottier and Espo.

Last edited by chosen: 06-09-2013 at 11:05 AM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote