View Single Post
Old
06-09-2013, 01:51 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Negative. Mischaracterized. I'm just not led around by the [nose] by statistics that aren't keeping up with the changes of the game.

Obviously, not enough people have taken notice of the changes in the game yet. Thus, this little exchange. As these anomalistic spikes continue, maybe we'll continue to blissfully ignore them because they don't fit the "inflexible" and "narrow" general point of view.

I've said it a thousand times: Stats can follow the storyline, they don't create one.
There is a Tim Thomas storyline leading up to his peak seasons.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence Journal, January 4th, 2006
Providence Bruins' Tim Thomas has been named the AHL's Goaltender of the Month for December.

Thomas posted a 10-4-0 record with a 1.68 goals-against average and a .941 save percentage in 14 games. The veteran netminder is the team's all-time leader with 11 shutouts. His latest award proves, once more, just how good he is.

"I'm having fun and I'm enjoying my teammates," he said. "Obviously things are easier around the rink when you're winning. But, it's nice to be recognized."

Thomas left a pretty sweet deal playing in Finland to resign with the Bruins during training camp this season. But, he was assigned to Providence at the end of camp and was clearly disappointed.

For the last six weeks, however, he has been playing like the Tim Thomas of old and the P-Bruins are benefiting.

"When you have success and you win, you have fun," said P-Bruins coach Scott Gordon. "He's really turned his game around in a short amount of time."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Globe, January 31st, 2006
Thomas, who started his ninth straight game, said he's getting his feet under him to the point where it's not such an emotional roller coaster.

''Now that I've had a few more games, I'm actually settling into it, and every win isn't like you just won the Stanley Cup," he said. ''You've just got to keep it flat.

''It's starting to feel like it did in the AHL where you're just playing hockey instead of some special event every time. That's where you need to be as a player. If you're in awe of the game, it's hard to play."

Although he enjoyed Finland and felt it was the best option for him at the time, he said he's enjoying every second of his second chance here.

''I made peace with the fact that I wasn't going to play in the NHL," he said. ''I was happy to end out my career in Finland. Signing this year, getting sent down [to Providence] wasn't in my plans, but getting called back up, it was like awakening an old dream that you'd forgotten about.

''It's actually even better that way. I know how much luck it actually takes to get here. I needed two goalies to get hurt but also how much hard work you put in over the years, so you appreciate it more."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Globe, February 12th, 2006
For much of his run, goalie Tim Thomas has been part spark plug, part superhero as he has helped the Bruins climb up the Eastern Conference standings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Globe, December 25th, 2006
Thomas, now 16-8-2, already has four more wins than he recorded last year, when he went 12-13-10 following his emergency January recall -- via recallable waivers -- from Providence (AHL). Following his tepid 1-2-1 start this season, when his goals-against mark was 3.33 and his save percentage a pedestrian .899, he has gone an impressive 15-6-1, trimmed his GAA to 2.92, and boosted his save percentage to .909. In his three recent wins, he has stopped 94 of 98 shots, for a stellar .959 save percentage.

"Personally, I don't think I ever really got behind the 8-ball this year," said Thomas, his low point that 1-2-1 mark while the Bruins plummeted to a troublesome 4-7-2 out of the chute the first month of the season. "We all looked bad opening night in Florida, but some of their goals were just incredible, coming off back-door plays and banging in off skates. I didn't think that was such a bad game. My next start, we lost in St. Louis after giving up that two-goal lead, but to be honest, I didn't fault myself for either of the two goals in the third period."

With the Bruins now on the verge of slipping into playoff territory in the Eastern Conference, all of that seems ancient history. Also put to rest has been the issue of finding a No. 1 goalie, a hunt that briefly had general manager Peter Chiarelli inquiring around the league for possible trades.

When the new season dawned, Thomas and Toivonen were slated to battle one another for the job. But Toivonen's slow start, followed by an ankle injury during a short tuneup in Providence, set the stage once more for Thomas to stake his claim as the starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Sun, November 15th, 2007
"I watched Carey play against the Leafs (Tuesday) and it never looked like he was ever out of control. And I see a lot of the same things in Tuukka that I see in Carey. He's the real deal, for sure.

"It's funny, but all three of us are doing well."

In the case of Thomas, that is an understatement.

While Price is flourishing with the Habs and Rask is adapting to hockey life in North America with the Boston Bruins' AHL team in Providence, Thomas once again has clawed his way to the Bruins starter's job.

Seventeen months ago the Bruins dealt former rookie-of-the-year Andrew Raycroft to the Leafs for Rask, a gangly Finn who was voted the top goalie at the 2006 world junior in Vancouver.

This past summer came another goalie, former Minnesota Wild goalie Manny Fernandez, who was acquired via trade in order to, in the minds of many, be the Bruins' starter.

With Fernandez as the goalie of the present and Rask in the role of goalie of the future, there did not seem to be much room for Thomas. But when Fernandez got off to a rocky start, partially because his past knee ailment flared up, Thomas stepped in.

He has not looked back.

Going into tonight's game against the Leafs, Thomas sits second in the league in save percentage (.950) and fifth in goals-against average (1.65), allowing the offensively challenged Bruins to be close almost every night.

"I think I've proven I can be No. 1," he said. "I just think the chance came quicker than many expected. I'm happy with my start. I don't want too much credit when we win because I don't want credit when we lose."

And the story continues into those seasons where he posts those statistics that supposedly "aren't keeping up with the changes of the game" but were still reflected by the Bruins' success and Thomas' two Vezina/All-Star selections and Conn Smythe.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote