View Single Post
Old
06-09-2013, 10:45 PM
DecadesofFutility

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I really think you have a tough time grasping how difficult it is to find a premier defender in the draft. Weber was passed over 4 times by Nashville before they picked him. Columbus over looked him 3 times. It's is extremely difficult to map out the progression of defender.

The Pronger deal was fantastic also. Lupul was oft injuried here and Sbisa hasn't developed(still time though) into a top 4 defender yet. The two first rounders are still trying to crack a full time gig IIRC. Pronger was a hall of famer who was still elite. Was until the injury. It was completely freakish as well. Nobody could foresee that injury coming. Not one that in all likely hood ends his career. Of course you expect him to be a little beat up during the year, but he brings it in the playoffs.

We should all stop mentioning the Pronger deal like it was bad. You have the opportunity to get that type of player, you make that deal 10x out of 10.
I just have a hard time believing that the Flyers really value having an premier defender.
Since the Pronger trade, IMHO, they have not tried hard enough to draft a premier defender.
I fault them for waiting so long to replace him.

I just do not think drafting alot of defenders rounds 2-7 is going to produce a premier defender.
More likely to get a decent defender, but not a #1 guy.