View Single Post
Old
06-10-2013, 01:18 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
Except it is the only way to measure it since Thomas has only played those years. He was a rookie when he was 31. Selanne has been playing since the mid 90s, and OV since 06, so it is a stupid analogy.
You completely missed the point. I'm not saying that you can't compare an overlap; I'm saying that you can't count the number of seasons each player was better and expect that to mean anything, because there are different degrees of better: marginally or significantly. In my example, old Selanne was marginally better three times and Ovechkin was significantly better three times, but a 3-3 tie is meaningless because anyone with eyes knows that Ovechkin was better overall. In the Thomas and Lundqvist save percentage comparison, Thomas beat out Lundqvist by much bigger margins in 2008, 2009, and 2011 than Lundqvist beat out Thomas by in the remaining four seasons, therefore saying Lundqvist was better in the regular season because it's "4-3" isn't telling the full story anymore than saying that Ovechkin and Selanne were equal from 2007-2012.

So it's not a stupid analogy. Meanie.

quoipourquoi is online now   Reply With Quote