Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) V
View Single Post
06-10-2013, 08:56 AM
How about 76 for 25?
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
So i've been reading last few pages of the previous thread and the first 3.5 of this one.
1) Trading for Letang seems absolutely ridiculous...for Pittsburgh. Why would they give up their Norris-finalist (possibly winning) defenseman because the team might be "housecleaning" or fire sale or whatever. Their playoff run was good, they just got the wrong players (hahahaha Boston just gave Iginla payback for going with PIT and not them mwahahahahaha lol).
2) Pleks for Stewart + 2nd round 2013. I don't think we need to do this trade. With the 2012 draft being a homerun so i've heard, we'll have wingers coming up in the next 3-4 years that will be able to fill this role. Even with the Letang trade, I don't see how this trade will make us SC contenders now and should wait for the time to come where we are contenders (when the 2012 draft starts really developing...)
3) I don't understand how some teams and their owners would use amnesty buyouts possibly (PHI for Bryz as an example) and we would not. However, i don't feel the need to spend 22.5 million for draft picks and prospects. Not the best in terms of investment, in which you aren't even close to guaranteed a solid player when their development is over.
4) Before buyouts, this UFA crop is by far one of the worst and we're going to grossly overspend to get players (now every year teams will overspend, but this year will be by an absurd amount [Clarkson at 5+ mil/year? Pass.]) The way you build your SC Contending team is through the draft (check, and most likely this year as well, check) and through good trading (especially at the deadline). UFAs are not the way to go unless you sign a piece that you are for sure missing (Prust) that would improve the roster by leaps and bounds. Next UFA season will be much better and should hold off on spending this summer when I don't think we're even close to SC Contenders. We'll have more cap room (Kaberle [either this year via buyout or contract ending next season], Markov, Gionta, Bouillon, Emelin, Diaz, Eller, Subban will all have their contracts ending after the 2013-14 season) for 2014 summer and with by the time July 1, 2014 rolls around, a lot more and better UFAs to dangle some money in front of (if we need to).
5) If Letang trade could happen, by next summer we would not be able to re-sign Markov (which I might be okay with depending on how he plays come next year, a full season). However for next year, our top 4 would be ridiculous.
IMO, i would only offer Diaz, one of our 2nd round picks this year and maybe another 2nd round pick next year for Letang.
Re-sign Armstrong (
), White, Dumont, Weber, Trade Diaz, 2013 2nd, 2014 2nd, for Letang, our opening day roster would be:
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.725m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Gabriel Dumont ($0.625m) /
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Alexei Emelin ($2.000m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,960,833; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,186,667
Emelin comes back into the fold, our lineup will be:
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by dmanfish90